Re: Matthew 27:17

From: Trevor M Peterson (spedrson@juno.com)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 06:09:09 EST

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 00:52:21 EST "Paul S. Dixon" <dixonps@juno.com>
writes:

[snipped]

>What I find especially peculiar is that the NA text has B supporting
>the IHSOUN reading, while the UBS critical apparatus says B has only
>TON BARABBAN with no IHSOUN.
>
>Which is correct? Does B have IHSOUN BARABBAN or not?

Which edition of NA are you using? The 27th shows B supporting the
reading without IHSOUN but with the article. A possibility, though:
When I first looked at it, it seemed that they were citing B all over the
place, until I realized that "B." is different from "B" in that the
former is an abbreviation in this passage for BARABBAN, while the latter
is the symbol for Vaticanus.

Hope that helps.

Trevor Peterson
M.Div. Candidate
Capital Bible Seminary
Lanham, MD

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]