1 John 1,1

From: gat (gat@dom.vr.pl)
Date: Thu Apr 02 1998 - 14:35:57 EST

In 1 John 1,1 there is a very interesting change of tenses:
hO AKHKOAMEN (perf.) - what we have heard
hO EWRAKAMEN (perf.) TOIS OFQALMOIS hHMWN - what we have seen with our eyes

and then it changes to aorist:

hO EQEASAMEQA (aor.) - what we looked at
KAI hAI XEIRES hHMWN EYHLAFHSAN (aor.) - and touched with our hands

Why is the change of tenses? One could simply say that John speaks twice
about the same thing (have seen, looked at) and just for a change he is
using once perf. and once aor. tense. Is it significant or it doesn't
matter?

Any comments?

Gregor P. Turkanik
student of Biblical Studies