Re: [Fwd: Hebrew and Greek as languages]

From: Dean & Laura Van Druff (studies@acts17-11.com)
Date: Sat Apr 11 1998 - 01:49:37 EDT

This was so cool. Your "Attachment" opened up as a Eudora mailbox with all these scholarly responses in it. This was a first.

Jim West missed my point entirely, or else made a typo mixing up Greek and Hebrew the opposite from the point I was asserting.

But otherwise, it appears that my point of Hebrew being "fixed" may have been a bit more than a "slight exaggeration"... as it seems several others are saying. It does, now, occur to me that (with what little I know) many words in Hebrew were "scavenged" from other languages as well. At least that what my lexicons keep telling me.

As per Cindy's point, certainly the Jews I know are as likely to pick up slang and form dialects as anyone else, but still it seems they keep a special place set aside for "holy" Hebrew.

When I was writing what I did, I had in mind my friend and Hebrew teacher Rob Alent, who at the shrine of the book in Jerusalem walked up to the Isaiah scroll (facsimile, actually) and began reading it. He tripped a bit, but was shocked to find a 2100 year old document intelligible.

Got to go, thanks for the feedback!

     Ephesians 3:15-19 (NIV) I pray that out of
     his glorious riches he may strengthen you with
     power through his Spirit in your inner being, so
     that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.
     And I pray that you, being rooted and established
     in love, may have power, together with all the
     saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and
     deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love
     that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled
     to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Dean & Laura Van Druff

Acts 17-11 Bible Studies
http://www.acts17-11.com
studies@acts17-11.com