Re: Jn 21:15-17 IMHO

From: Nicholas Corduan (nickc@iquest.net)
Date: Mon Apr 20 1998 - 19:02:37 EDT

Bill,

> Could we read FILEO as "liked or loved", but AGAPEW as "loved or liked"? If
> they were totally equal, with no connotations, one would be unnecessary.

Equal and exactly the same are different things. Just as in civil rights
(ideally), two words can be different, yet "equal."

> Many synonymns we use have different strengths that make them more suitable

Perhaps I'm just being dense, but is "strength" the right word to use
here? Again, it seems as if we're casting value judgements and saying
that one word is stronger, more valuable than the other. Is that
necessary in this context?

Nick---

---
Nick Corduan                 "...there is as much dignity in tilling
     at                       a field as in writing a poem."
(nickc@iquest.net)                           --Booker T. Washington