Re: 1 Tim 2:12

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Sun Jun 28 1998 - 20:17:25 EDT

Ward:

Thanks for your input on this. I'd like to consider your claim that
ANHR and GUNH refer to the husband and wife relationship. Perhaps
after reading your paper, I'll do just that.

However, let's assume, for the sake of argument, that ANHR and
GUNH in 1 Tim 2 do refer to husband and wife, respectively.
Furthermore, let's assume that the instruction of the passage then
relates specifically to the husband-wife relationship.

If so, then it seems to me that the most we could possibly infer is
that this passage does not explicitly forbid a woman from teaching
or holding authority over a man who is not her husband in a different
arena, such as in the church, or in a small group setting, and that
the door, then, might be open for them to do so.

I have two observations to make. First, is there any precedent for
saying that a woman was forbidden from treating her husband
in a certain way, but where she could treat other men that way?
I don't think so, but that may be neither here nor there, as this
could a unique situation. In line with this, however, how plausible
is it that a woman who properly obeyed this directive toward her
husband would feel she comfortably do otherwise to other men?
It seems most incongruous.

Second, the reasons Paul gives (the order of creation, and the order
of the fall) do not seem to be reasons that pertain to the marriage
relationship exclusively. Paul does not use ANHR and GUNH in
these reasons (vv 13-14). Rather, he uses ADAM and hEUA. These
names are normally taken as representative of men and women
respectively, Adam as the first man and Eve as the first woman.

In summary, if we think that taking ANHR and GUNH refer to
the husband-wife relationship only, and conclude from this that
the woman may teach or hold authority over another man or men,
then we have gone too far. It seems the burden of proof would be
upon those who would wish to posit such an incongruous behavior
of women.

I am not saying you have concluded this, just making an
observation in general.

Sincerely in Christ,

Dr. Paul S. Dixon, Pastor
Wilsonville, Oregon