Re: 1 Cor 4:15 (Was: Gal. 4:19)

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 23:18:01 EDT

 On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Ben Crick wrote:
> [snipped] Plato wrote: PAIDAGWGOS DOULOS WN,
> AGWN DHPOU EIS DIDASKALOU (LUSIS, p 208).

 Dear Thomas,

 Pulling out my dusty tomes, I opened JB Lightfoot, /Saint Paul's Epistle
 to the Galatians/, Macmillan, London, 1921, at Galatians 3:24 and came
 across the full citation from Plato. Here it is, FWIW:

 SE AUTON EWSIN ARCEIN SEAUTOU, H OUDE TOUTO EPITREPOUSI SOI;
 PWS GAR, EFH, EPITREPOUSIN;
 ALL' ARCEI TIS SOU;
 hODE PAIDAGWGOS, EFH.
 MWN DOULOS WN;
 ALLA TI MHN;
 hHMETEROS GE, EFH.
 H DEINON, HN D'EGW, ELEUQERON ONTA hUPO DOULOU ARCESQAIá
 TI DE POIWN AU hOUTOS hO PAIDAGWGOS SOU ARCEI;
 AGWN DHPOU, EFH, EIS DIDASKALOU.
 MWN MH KAI hOUTOI SOU ARCOUSIN, hOI DIDASKALOI;
 PANTWS DHPOU. PAMPOLLOUS ARA SOI DESPOTAS KAI ARCONTAS hEKWN hO PATHR
 EFISTHSIN. (Plato, /Lysis/, p. 208c) (op cit pp 148f).

 It is worth reading the whole comment: a tad too long to retype here.

 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>