Re: Mt 28.19 - antecedent of AUTOUS

From: Benjamin Raymond (braymond@ipa.net)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 17:31:53 EDT

At 07:38 AM 7/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
>At 11:52 PM -0400 7/01/98, Benjamin Raymond wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I've previously read PANTA TA EQNH in Mt 28.19 as the antecedent of AUTOUS.
>> For some reason I overlooked the gender difference.
>>
>>Is there an explicit antecedent for AUTOUS?
>

>I think you were right the first time, Ben. EQNH happens to be neuter
>plural, but it refers to Gentile persons in this instance, I think we ought
>to say, and therefore the generic masculine plural pronoun is used for it
>in this instance; certainly there is no other masculine plural antecedent.

Fair enough. I'd seen where neuter plural nouns sometimes take the
singular verb form (i.e., 2 Jno 13), but the disagreement in gender here is
new to me.

Are there some syntactical parallels which might help me better grasp the
practice of using masculine pronouns in the generic sense like this?

Benjamin Raymond
senior, Harding University School of Biblical Studies
braymond@ipa.net
HU Box 11871, 900 E Center
Searcy, AR 72149-0001
501-279-4820