Re: follow up

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 13:23:14 EDT

At 01:06 PM 7/2/98 -0400, Nichael Cramer wrote:
>Jim West wrote:

>> ... is interesting, as are the others- but my
>> question is really focused on the possibility that Jesus is, with a wry
>> twist of humor, denigrating the Pharisees and their external show of piety.
>> Real piety is hidden, just like those things we do in the privy.
>
>Right, I understand that; my question was would "inner room" ever be used
>as a euphemism for a privy? I.e. (and this is genuine question) were
>privies ever _inner_ rooms in, as it were, sitz in leben? And as such
>would the intended audience have ever made the necessary connection?

I think I'll ignore that truly wonderful pun for now.

Privies, like store rooms and closets and inner rooms, are small, dark
places without lots of windows exposing the room to the public. I wonder if
"closet" isn't a useful translation for the term. Consider the English
phrase "water closet", which is also a privy.

Somehow, this is beginning to remind me of the "skivvies" thread we had a
long time ago...

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research