Re: Theme/Rheme

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 08:17:50 EDT

Philip L. Graber wrote:

> There is very little work done in NT Greek from Halliday's perspective.
> Most of those listed by Clayton Stirling Bartholomew do not use systemic
> functional grammar (SFG). Those who have used SFG have tended to be rather
> ecclectic, and not pushed the model as far as it will go. (Stanley Porter
> tends to use the British systemic model associated with Robin Fawcett
> rather than Halliday's version, in addition to being ecclectic. Some of
> the best work on Greek and SFG is done by Jeffrey T. Reed [e.g., *A
> Discourse Analysis of Philippians: Method and Rhetoric in the Debate over
> Literary Integrity*, JSNT Supplementary Series 136, Sheffield Academic
> Press, 1997], but his work is more ecclectic than Porter's.)

Philip L. Graber is absolutely correct.

I would add that after reading much of Stanley Porter and Jeffrey T. Reed's
work on Philippians I am still rather fuzzy on the subject of systemic
functional grammar. If one wants to use linguistics for the study of NT Greek,
one must be able to make "transformations" between the different schools of
thought. For example, on the subject of NT Greek word order, the works that
have been written on this subject are from several different schools of
linguistics. Therefore, to explore the question of word order using the
systemic functional grammar model, one must be able to read literature on word
order using other models and make the "transformation" into this model.

Making these transformations is not a simple task. One must have a fairly
clear comprehension of the various models being used. But you cannot avoid
doing this because you simply will not be able to find a dozen studies of NT
Greek word order from Halliday's perspective.

If this makes the subject of NT Greek Linguistics sound forbidding, perhaps
this is appropriate. It is forbidding. The published attempts I have seen to
"make it simple" are hardly worth reading.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point