Re: Reitzenstein Poimandres 1904 -- a protest

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 16:11:28 EDT

At 03:54 PM 7/17/98 -0400, Edward Hobbs wrote:

>With some astonishment and puzzlement, I find that Daniel Rian~o has posted
>an attack on my veracity or competence (or both) , including
>
> "...posting of E. Hobbs re: Poimandres...was wrong, as he is now."
> "The edition whose existence E. Hobbs so obstinately tries to deny..."
>
>Such language is taboo on this List, as we have repeatedly made clear;
>and it is especially puzzling coming from Mr. Rian~o...

Let me confirm that B-Greek Netiquette requires respect, and this language
does seem a little strong. I did not step in when it showed up on the list
because I assumed that Mr. Rian~o, whose native language is Spanish, was
trying to make a joke with the phrase "The edition whose existence E. Hobbs
so obstinately tries to deny...", and did not realize the strength of the
phrase in English. In general I have found Mr. Rian~o to be polite and
respectful - since this was out of character, I thought it was the mistake
of a non-native speaker.

(I will not comment on who is right about the book since I have no idea,
and don't particularly care as long as we can all be respectful with each
other.)

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine