Two Troublesome Datives

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Aug 10 1998 - 23:25:42 EDT

In Acts 13:36 there are two troublesome datives:

IDIAi GENEAi and THi TOU QEOU BOULHi

The first is troublesome because it is not obvious how to read IDIAi. I
checked several technical resources and concluded that this is not an easy
problem to resolve. My first guess was that IDIAi is used here with temporal
sense, he served during his own generation. H.A.W. Meyer calls this reading
"very tame and superfluous. He reads IDIAi GENEAi "for his (own) generation".

The second is troublesome because it is not clear which verb the dative is
referring to. I am currently leaning toward attaching THi TOU QEOU BOULHi to
the preceding participle hUPERTHSAS because this seems to make the phrase THi
TOU QEOU BOULHi more than a statement of the obvious. Somehow, saying that
DAUID ... EKOIMHQH KAI PROSETEQH . . . THi TOU QEOU BOULHi sounds like a kind
of strange statement. Since the experience of DAUID was the common lot of the
PATERAS.

These two difficulties are also connected. It is late and I am a little
fuzzier than usual (extremely fuzzy) so I will leave this question for some
one else to sort out.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point