Re: Acts 1:3-EN POLLOIS TEKMHRIOIS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 22 1998 - 14:30:42 EDT

At 11:20 AM -0500 8/22/98, Edgar Foster wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>Acts 1:3 reads (in part):
>
>hOIS KAI PARESTHSEN hEAUTON ZWNTA META TO PAQEIN AUTON EN POLLOIS
>TEKMHRIOIS
>
>Is the following paraphrase too strong?
>
>"To his apostles he presented himself alive after suffering, by
>demonstrating many irrefutable proofs."
>
>The primary part of the paraphrase I am concerned about is the
>rendering of TEKMHRIOIS. Does the word indicate that prima facie
>evidence is under discussion?

Well, I don't quite see the point of "demonstrating" or "irrefutable." I
would think "convincing items of evidence" is strong enough. Are you
getting "demonstrating" out of TEKMHRIA also, or is that a supplementary
reading from PARESTHSEN hEAUTON? I think it's the primary point of
PARESTHSEN hEAUTON ZWNTA with the dative. I'd see the key elements here as
(1) META TO PAQEIN AUTON = after he had undisputably died; (2) PARESTHSEN
hEAUTON ZWNTA hOIS = he demonstrated to them that he was alive; (3) EN
POLLOIS TEKMHRIOIS = by means of numerous indications.

Carl W. Conrad