Re: Boustrophedon writing

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 16:53:42 EDT

At 3:28 PM -0500 8/27/98, Dr. Rodney J. Decker wrote:
>Does anyone know of a (preferably legible) photo of Greek text written in
>boustrophedon style? Either in a published source or on the web? Ideally
>I'd like to find one with a transcription and/or translation as well.
>
>I have found the following three items on the web that might be of interest
>(none of them have transcriptions or translations):
>
><http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/CSAD/Image195.html> has good B&W photo of a
>boustrophedon text with large scale pix as well.
>
>Color photo (but text is unreadable:
><http://www.culture.gr/2/21/214/21402m/e21402m.html>
>
>And a poor quality scan (? or replica?) that at least has legible text:
><http://www.translexis.demon.co.uk/booklet/html/alphabet.html>
>
>I've mentioned boustrophedon writing briefly in class for a number of years
>as I discuss the history of the Greek language, but this is the first time
>that I've found some actual examples of it. Any suggestions would be
>appreciated for other sources, esp. those with more information
>accompanying the text.

There's a little paperback book, The Study of Greek Inscriptions (The
Oklahoma Series in Classical Culture, Vol 16) by A. Geoffrey Woodhead,
which has, I think, a picture and a text of a boustrophedon inscription. I
don't have the book ready to hand, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it
in that.

Carl W. Conrad