Re: anagnwsei

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 05 1998 - 01:23:55 EDT

On Fri 4 Sep 98 (17:42:37), cms@dragon.com wrote:
> Compare also Nehemiah 8:8 KAI ANEGNWSAN EN BIBLIW NOMOU TOU THEOU KAI
> EDIDASKEN ESDRAS KAI DIESTELLEN EN EPISTHMH KURIOU KAI SUNHKEN hO LAOS
> EN TH ANAGNWSEI.
>
> Then English translation as well as the Vulgate is completely
> different, so I can only assume the Hebrew is different. This is the
> Vulgate: et legerunt in libro legis Dei distincte et adposite ad
> intellegendum et intellexerunt cum legeretur.

 Cindy:

 What an interesting verse. It seems to me that what the lectors are doing
 in Nehemiah 8:8 is making a running translation of the original Hebrew of
 the Law (ToRaH) into Aramaic: the language understood by the returned
 exiles, who had been brought up on Aramaic in Babylon. In other words, this
 is possibly the origin of the Targums which were oral at first, and only
 written down later (Jonathan and Onkelos). The Hebrew is, with my wooden
 translation and the Brenton LXX:

 WaYYiQRe'uW BaSSePheR BeThoWRaTh Ha'eLoHiYM MePhoRaSh
 And they proclaimed in the book in the Law of God distinctly
 KAI ANEGNWSAN EN BIBLIWi NOMOU TOU QEOU KAI EDIDASKEN ESDRAS

 WeSoWM SeKheL WaYYaBhiYNuW BaMMiQRa':
 and gave insight and they understood [in] the proclamation.
 KAI DIESTELLEN EN EPISTHMHi KURIOU KAI SUNHKEN hO LAOS EN THi ANAGNWSEI.

 The Brenton LXX is heavily glossed: rather as the scribes were doing
 with their free-running "Targum" translation? Think of the modern
 simultaneous translation over headphones that goes on in multi-lingual
 assemblies such as the United Nations. The point was that *the people
 understood the message* and rejoiced hOTI SUNHKAN EN TOIS LOGOIS hOIS
 EGNWRISEN AUTOIS (verse 12). They wouldn't have understood Hebrew alone.

 Jerome in his crisp style adheres strictly to the Hebrew. The Hebrew root
 QaRa' means "to proclaim"; the same as the Arabic /QuR'aN/, Proclamation.
 ANAGINWSKW expresses this exactly, IMHO.

 ERRWSQE
 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF