Re: SBL

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 07:50:31 EDT

At 09:35 AM 9/11/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Wait a minute........anyone not a member of SBL isn't involved in academic
>Biblical Studies? It may have been meant humorously, in which case ignore
>this. If not, I can name some pretty serious Biblical Studies folks who
>don't belong, they may not be famous, but they are serious and they teach
>their students the tools of the trade all the same.
>
>Regards,
>Larry Swain

Of course it was meant in jest!!!!! Please people.... the whole point is
that some folks take themselves too seriously!

There are lots of excellent scholars who have nothing to do with SBL, AAR,
CBA, or any other number of professional organizations....

Geez oh pete- no one reacted in such a way when Jonathan made fun of
"itsagesus"! (which I took as demeaning to Italians and John the Baptist-
but I ddin't say anything....)

Best to all, and have a happy weekend! :-)

Jim