Re: Did Paul Author Hebrews?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 08:12:56 EDT

At 5:50 AM -0500 9/8/98, Theodore H. Mann wrote:
>Greetings All:
>
>This is probably too involved a question for B-Greek, but I have been
>wondering what the pros and cons are (grammatically, syntactically, etc.)
>regarding the Pauline authorship of Hebrews. Can anyone suggest a
>particularly well-balanced article or book dealing with this question?
>Many thanks.

To be sure, it's not a question about the Greek text, but I think also that
it's not really a controversial question. There is no internal evidence in
the book of Hebrews asserting Pauline authorship; Pauline authorship was
already seriously questioned in the early church. I may be wrong, but I
think you'd have to go pretty far even among very conservative scholars to
find someone seriously upholding Pauline authorship of Hebrews.

One standard introduction you might consult is Werner Georg Kuemmel,
_Introduction to the New Testament_ (tr. of 17th German ed. by Howard C.
Kee), #26, pp.388-403, esp. 401-403.

Carl W. Conrad