John 12:27

From: smichael@bellatlantic.net
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 21:53:06 EDT

I am new to the list and with this letter I cease to be a lurker.

John 12:27 PATER SWSON ME EK THS hWRAS TAUTHS

Translations commonly render EK THS hWRAS TAUTHS "from this hour"
(separation). I have come upon a commentator who believes that the
rendering "throughout this hour" (duration of time)is a more plausable
rendering. The reason given is the meaning of the basic meaning of
the Greek expression as "out of this hour". No further explanation. The
commentator also offers the same rendering for Revelation 3:10.
Question: what is the gramatical strength of rendering EK with genitive
as duration of time rather than separation?

(Rev.) John M. Harkins
1445 N. 2nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19122