RE: 1 Tim 3:2--wife/woman/a wife/one woman/one wife

From: Stevens, Charles C (Charles.Stevens@unisys.com)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 14:59:02 EDT

I am a VERY "little Greek" in this forum.

To me, THi MIAi TWN SABBATWN (Mark 16:2), for example, looks like an
idiom: literally, "the one of the week", which we today (and the KJV)
would translate as "the first [day] of the week". There seems to be
some other cases in which the KJV translates MIA and hEIS as "first"
rather than "one", and they also strike me as idiomatic, at least in
translation. Thus, "first" may well be an appropriate translation of
MIA in certain contexts, in order accurately to represent idiomatic
Greek in idiomatic English, but that by no means that it would be
appropriate to translate it that way in *all* contexts, only in idioms
like this. The primary meaning of the word hEIS indicates singularity,
not primacy, to me. See also Matthew 19:5, which directly quotes
Genesis 2:24 LXX "KAI ESONTAI hOI DUO EIS SARKA MIAN". Clearly "first"
is not appropriate in that verse.

If you are interested in proscriptions against polygamy from "other
testaments" that might be accepted by those that have proposed this
reading, I would endeavor to provide them, but ONLY OFFLINE AND IN
PRIVATE, as those documents, as well as any discussion about them,
including clarification of what groups accept them as relevant and what
groups do not, is wholly outside the framework of this forum.

    -Chuck Stevens [SMTP: Charles.Stevens@unisys.com]