Re: [Fwd: Re: EGW EIMI in GJohn (was Present tence copulative verbs)]

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Tue Sep 01 1998 - 18:27:40 EDT

At 12:46 PM 9/1/98 -0700, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

>No, it's not. Brown writes Isa xliii 25. I transposed the xl to an lx.
>Thanks for drawing attention to this.

I got out my secret magical decoder ring, and it pointed me to Isaiah 43:25:

Isaiah 43:25 (LXX) EGW EIMI EGW EIMI hO EXALEIFWN TAS ANOMIAS SOU KAI OU MH
MNHSQHSOMAI

Interesting, this use of EGW EIMI EGW EIMI, which occurs in two other
places in Isaiah:

Isaiah 45:19 OUK EN KRUFH LELALHKA OUDE EN TOPW GHS SKOTEINW OUK EIPA TW
SPERMATI IAKWB MATAION ZHTHSATE EGW EIMI EGW EIMI KURIOS LALWN DIKAIOSUNHN
KAI ANAGGELLWN ALHQEIAN

Isaiah 51:12 EGW EIMI EGW EIMI hO PARAKALWN SE GNWQI TINA EULABHQEISA
EFOBHQHS APO ANQRWPOU QNHTOU KAI APO hUIOU ANQRWPOU hOI hWSEI CORTOS
EXHRANQHSAN

Now I can sort of make out a repeated phrase in the Hebrew for Isaiah
43:25: ANoQiY, ANoQiY. Can someone comment on this phrase? How does it
compare to the EGW EIMI EGW EIMI?

Isaiah 45:19 is even more interesting - as near as I can make out this
Hebrew (and trust me, I can't), it looks as though the LXX phrase EGW EIMI
EGW EIMI translates the Hebrew phrase ANiY YeWaH. If this is true, and I'm
reading the Hebrew correctly, does this mean that "I, the Lord" in Hebrew
is being translated as EGW EIMI EGW EIMI KURIOS? That might lend credence
to the view that Jeffrey expressed.

It's silly for me to pretend that I can wade through the Hebrew and give an
accurate interpretation. Can someone who is competent in that language
please comment on the Hebrew original compared to the Greek phrases
translated EGW EIMI EGW EIMI in these three verses?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons