Error in Ropes???

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 17:37:27 EST

James Hardy Ropes, the editor of Codex Bezae in Acts was not the sort of
fellow you would expect to make errors, so I am giving him the benefit of the
doubt on this one. I only have a Xerox of his Bezae text and not the entire
book, so I may be missing a critical foot note from the facing page.

In Acts 16:14 we read:

SEBOMENH TON QEON (Aleph A C E Psi Maj)

SEBOMENH TON KURION (D*)

Ropes text of BEZAE reads SEBOMENH TON QEON, but both Alford and NA27 have D*
reading SEBOMENH TON KURION.

I would assume that the reason for this discrepancy is a disagreement over
what constitutes the original reading of Bezae and what constitutes the
corrected reading.

Any comments on this?

I think we can safely say that this post should not start any theological
flame wars.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point