Re: Adjective-noun word order

From: Thomas J Logan (caltom@gate.net)
Date: Sat Nov 28 1998 - 14:58:41 EST

Hello Paul & All

Interestingly enough Paul's question parallels one which I was considering posting. I
was reviewing an article concerning the attributive and predicate position of the
adjective.

Apparently the position is determined by word order. If the adjective comes after the
definite article it is in the the attributive position. In that particular
circumstance the adjective could be in the ascriptive use or in the restrictive use.
The ascriptive use follows the order ARTICLE-ADJECTIVE- NOUN while the restrictive
use follows the order ARTICLE-NOUN-ARTICLE-ADJECTIVE.

The text I was reading makes the statement that the adjective in the attributive
position is not making the central statement or thought of the sentence concerning
the the noun it is modifying. It is only ascribing an attribute or quality to the
noun. The restrictive use rather than merely ascribing a quality to the noun gives it
a little more force

example of ascriptive use Lk 6:45

45 ã****The good man ***out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is
good

45 O AGAQOS ANQRWPOS

article-adjective-noun order

and the restrictive use Jn 10:11

ãI am ******the good shepherd; ***

11 EGW EIMI ***O POIMHN O KALOS***

where the order is article noun article adjective.

which literally reads the shepherd the good

In the predicate position the adjective itself is actually making the statement about
the noun. The noun - adjective combination itself is said to form a complete thought
in itself.

Mk 10:18b
No one is good except God alone.

The phrase No one is good consists of but two Greek words

OYDEIS;" AGAQOS;"

No one good

the appropriate form of the verb to be must be inserted to get the true sense

No one **is** good

comments

in Christ
Tom