Re: minimal german

From: martin.arhelger (martin.arhelger@metronet.de)
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 05:50:27 EST

>How man German NT Scholars learn English for the sole purpose of reading
Leon
>Morris or Darell Bock or John Walvoord ;-) ????? (Note: This is not a list
of
>my favorite authors. I keep that list a secret.)
>
>--
>Clayton Stirling Bartholomew

Clayton,

Every pupil in a German school learns English, even if he's going to be
truck driver. (The only exceptions may be some few educationally handicapped
children.)

According to my experiences German libraries of Theology are full of English
books. I just counted the theological books which I have lent from the
library the last days: 6 are written in German and 5 in English.

1992 and 1996 the "Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft" published "A Greek English
Lexicon of the Septuagint" and today it's becoming more and more tendency to
deny the German language when writing theological articles. "Write it in
English to be understood" seems to be the new motto. Minor studies are no
longer published in other languages than English because else the number of
readers may be to small. IMHO that's a shame.

Another point:

It seems that you are critical about some German theologians- and in many
respects I personally share your opinion. But you should not forget that
German theology is not only Barth, Bultman and Fuchs. But I'm afraid that
those German scholars who wrote critical about them are generally not
translated in English.

It's a fact that conservative German scholars (e.g. those believing in the
inerrancy of the bible) have great problems to find a university where they
find professors sharing their views. That's why many of them study in
America or in the Netherlands. In practise conservative German scholars are
not able to become professors at a German university - and not because of
lacking mental abilities. IMHO that's a shame, too.

Martin Arhelger,
Germany