Re: English Grammars

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@mailhost.chi.ameritech.net)
Date: Tue Dec 29 1998 - 09:15:56 EST

Thikka@aol.com wrote:

> Dear B-Greekers,
> I am attempting to learn Biblical Greek and finding that my knowledge
> of English grammar isn't entirely up to the task. Most of the authors who
> write books about NT Greek do a fabulous job of describing grammatical
> terminology, but I would like to study English grammar more thoroughly so that
> I won't have to wait until I learn Greek
> before truely comprehending English grammar. Yet, many of the authors who
> write tomes about English grammar are either too complicated-like the work by
> Huddleston which I have looked at-or so easy that I half expect to hear the
> voice of Mr. Rogers intoning, " Can you say, " noun" ? Moreover, some authors
> will throw around terms like "kernal clause" and "finite clause" while other
> authors never seem to mention these two concepts but, instead, use terminology
> which is different in its own odd way. In brief, is there a grammar which is
> consistent enough in its description of terms and concepts that, as I begin my
> study of Greek, it will help rather than hinder me in my pursuit of
> proficiency in understanding Greek and English.

John,

You might want to have a look at John Wenham's _Elements of New
Testament Greek_. Wenham begins his Greek text with a review of English
grammar and then, in subsequent chapters, refers the student back to the
relevant part of that grammar when he begins discussion of an element of
Greek.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
  --