Mark 1:1-8

From: wross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Fri Jan 01 1999 - 17:58:00 EST

Does anyone have any comments on reading verses 2 and 3 of Mark 1 as a kind
of participial phrase:

BEGINNING OF THE "WELCOMED-MESSAGE" OF JESUS, MESSIAH, SON OF GOD [Mark
wants us to be clear that this isn't about John The Baptist]

Like it is written in the prophets... [so] John came to be baptizing...and
went out to him all the Judean country, BUT**, John, having been clothed in
camel's fur [politically incorrect even then!] and a leather girdle [to kind
of pull in his "preacher's pouchiness?"] about his loins [camel hair
hip-huggers?] and eating a Diet of Worms (Oops that was Martin Luther)
locusts and wild honey, and he was proclaiming, saying "He comes, more
forceful than me after me, of whom I am not fit, having stooped down, to
loosen...I indeed baptized you in water, but He will baptize you in the Holy
Spirit.

** Notice that Mark uses KAI exclusively for conjunctions elsewhere in this
passage. The Textus Receptus has DE, though some other manuscripts have, in
my opinion, been "fixed" to also have KAI here.