Re: 666

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 05:09:33 EST

At 08:04 AM 2/11/99 -0600, you wrote:

>But before anybody jumps to conclusions... including myself.. I
>was wondering if one of the people in this list that know a great
>deal more than I concerning languages.. if they could go to this
>web site and "verify" its content.
>
>http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/Isopsephia.html
>
>Thanks for the help.
>

>Pastor Dan Oglesby

Dan-

The site does indeed calculate various numerical values for Greek, Latin,
and Hebrew words (assuming one spells them correctly, in latin, greek, or
hebrew forms). And it does correctly assign numerical values to those letters.

the immediate comment i would have is- so what? gematria might be a fun
game- but it is virtually (read totally) meaningless for interpretation of
greek, latin or hebrew texts.

there is one place- total- in the bible where a writer uses gemtria- and the
meaning of that passage is clear enough anyway.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology