Re: reason for b-greek

From: Theodore H Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Sun Feb 14 1999 - 15:18:35 EST

Hi David:

Nice summary! And all true. However, I've maintained right along that
you have to become quite good at Greek before you can significantly enjoy
most of the benefits listed below. Unless one is dedicated to the task
of becoming really proficient, I question whether or not it is
particularly beneficial to dabble in the language (except, of course, for
the fun of it), and it might even be harmful. (The old saw: "A little
knowledge can be dangerous.:") As far as I can tell, nearly all of the
secrets hidden in the original texts have been explained very nicely in
English and other languages native to readers, so there is little reason
to learn Greek to uncover them. I have studied Greek on my own for some
time now, and I enjoy doing so, but I can't say that I've uncovered any
information that isn't available in English, if one knows where to look
for it (journals, etc.). And I still consider myself to be pretty much
at the mercy of translators, in spite of my knowledge of Greek. Who am I
to argue with the Winberrys and the Conrads?

Best,

Theodore "Ted" Mann
thmann@juno.com