Re: Epictetus (Diss., II, 20, 19)translation

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 14:48:37 EST

>From: Mary L B Pendergraft

>>KAI hOI APOKOPTOMENOI TAS GE PROQUMIAS TAS TWN ANDRWN APOKOYASQAI OU
>>DUNANTAI

>Here's an old translation of T. W. Higginson: "But even those who have
>their organs cut off cannot rid themselves of man's desires..."
>That is, KAI hOI APOKOPTOMENOI "even the cut-off people" In this
context
>it surely is a reference to castration.
>APOKOYASQAI OU DUNANTAI "are not able to cut off"
>TAS GE PROQUMIAS TAS TWN ANDRWN "the desires of men" This last
section is
>an example of a use of the article that is less common in koine,
whereby
>repeating the article shows that the words that follow (here, the
>possessive genitive) are attributes of its noun.

Amazing resonance to my [long ago] Attic studies... The particle GE, as
I am recalling, is a stressive, intensifying PROQUMIAS, and I have not
seen it so far in the NT.

A more literal try might be:

"Even those castrated are not [being] able to castrate the very [real]
desires of men."

George

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA