Re: Morphology Principles

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 08:22:21 EST

Jonathan Ryder wrote;

>Anyone know of a quick guide to or handy (pocket) summary of principles
>of NT Greek wordbuilding (eg -EW verbs, rules for prefixes etc and all
>those verbs that seem irregular until you know some underlying principle
>that isn't in the basic grammars)?

Jonathan, Two books came out within months of each other in 1994. James
Brooks and Carlton Winbery, Morphology of NT Greek from University of
America and Wm. Mounce, Same name or very close, Zondervan. These two
books take a very similar approach with chapters on morphological change.
Our chapter, Introduction to the Verb also classifies and explains the
behavior of different types of verbs. The rules of phonetic changes will
help understand many verbs that are called irregular.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
Pineville, LA 71359