Re: 2 Clement 19

From: Mary L B Pendergraft (pender@f1n7.sp2net.wfu.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 03 1999 - 05:34:00 EST

At 08:24 PM 3/2/99 -0500, Bart Ehrman wrote:
> Near the end of 2 Clement we read:
>
> hWSTE ADELPHOI KAI ADELPHAI, META TON THEON THS ALHQEIAS ANAGINWSKW
>hUMIN ENTEUXIN EIS TO PROSECHEIN TOIS GEGRAMMENOIS. (2 Clem. 19.1)
>
> Any hunches on what the META TON THEON THS ALHQEIAS might mean?
>
>-- Bart Ehrman

It _should_ mean "after the god of truth" but of course, what would that
mean? I wonder whether this is just a bad preposition, and the goal was
perhaps KATA, "according to." It seems to me that prepositions are a weak
link in the writing of many people, both second-language users and native
speakers such as my students, who produce things like "This example is an
exception of the rule..."

Mary

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109-7343
336-758-5331 (NOTE: this is a new number) pender@wfu.edu