Re: Luke 7:2,3 (prominence: discourse and clause)

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 22 1999 - 22:15:41 EST

> luke has a very mixed style, turned on-again off-again throughout the
> gospel and to a lesser degree the first half of Acts.

> randall buth

Randall,

I have read statements like this before. I remember making some comments
about it when I was reading Stephan's speech in Acts. Are you implying
that this stops in the second half of Acts? That the some of Acts shows
only one style?

I can remember drawing fire from some of the more computational types,
you know, people with pocket protectors :- ))), when discussing style
previously. Style is something that is hard to reduce to what are called
the "Formal Elements" of the text. However Jeffrey Reed's chapter on
Texture does attempt to do this and perhaps with some limited amount of
success. I think the jury is going to be out on the computational
analysis of style for some time yet. Meanwhile some of us more literary
types will still keep talking about it in a loose undisciplined manner
which will continue to irritate the empirical people.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point