Re: New World Translation

From: AgapeLove9@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 10:31:55 EST

Jim,

>The last paragraph being left aside, I would suggest that the NWT is
>fairly tendentious and prone to readings which are not really
>supportable from the Greek text.
Your reply seems tendentious to me. Perhaps you can clarify specifically to
which readings you refer? Surely you cannot be referring to John 1:1c ("a
god") based upon what is in the archives!

>I was just wondering if any of you scholars has taken a look at the New
>World Translation of the New Testament. I saw an edition that put heavy
>emphasis on the translators efforts of being true to the original greek
>and the thorough textual criticism that they supposedly used.

Here is a start. I have more if you wish.

   "It is the Best Interlinear New Testament Available"

    THAT is how Dr. Jason BeDuhn describes The Kingdom Interlinear Translation
of the Greek Scriptures. He explains: "I have just completed teaching a course
for the Religious Studies Department of Indiana University, Bloomington,
[U.S.A.] . . . This is primarily a course in The Gospels. Your help came in
the form of copies of The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek
Scriptures which my students used as one of the textbooks for the class. These
small volumes were invaluable to the course and very popular with my
students."

    Why does Dr. BeDuhn use the Kingdom Interlinear translation in his college
courses? He answers: "Simply put, it is the best interlinear New Testament
available. I am a trained scholar of the Bible, familiar with the texts and
tools in use in modern biblical studies, and, by the way, not a member of the
Jehovah's Witnesses. But I know a quality publication when I see one, and your
'New World Bible Translation Committee, has done its job well. Your
interlinear English rendering is accurate and consistent to an extreme that
forces the reader to come to terms with the linguistic, cultural, and
conceptual gaps between the Greek-speaking world and our own. Your 'New World
Translation' is a high quality, literal translation that avoids traditional
glosses in its faithfulness to the Greek. It is, in many ways, superior to the
most successful translations in use today."

    The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures is published
by Jehovah's Witnesses to help lovers of God's Word get acquainted with the
original Greek text of the Bible. It contains The New Testament in the
Original Greek on the left- hand side of the page (compiled by B. F. Westcott
and F. J. A. Hort). A literal word-for-word English translation is found under
the lines of Greek text. In the narrow right-hand column is the New World
Translation of the Holy Scriptures, which allows you to compare the
interlinear translation with a modern English translation of the Bible.

Mark Johnson