Re: Biblical Greek and Word Origins

From: atombomb@sirius.com
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 02:47:46 EST

Two classic works you may be interested in:

R.B. Onians, The Origins of European Thought about the Body, the Mind,
the Soul, the World, Time, and Fate: Cambridge Univ. Press (paperback
ed. 1988).

Also, E. Rohde, Psyche: The Cult of Souls and Belief in Immortality
among the Ancient Greeks (Ares Publishers Inc.: Chicago, reprint of
orig. 1925 ed., 1987). But be careful: Rohde follows Tylor's "animism"
theories, which have become a major source of misunderstanding in the
history of Hellenic thought.

Regards,

John Burnett