Re: Worm loose on B-Greek

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Tue Mar 30 1999 - 12:22:52 EST

At 07:24 30/03/99 -0600, you wrote:

At 6:55 AM -0600 3/30/99, Tim and Sherrie Vermande wrote:
I wonder if it might be possible to set up the software for the list to
reject all attachments.

Yes, I know: it came in a message distributed also via regular piecemeal
list-distribution. I don't know any way to set this item in the Lyris
software used by B-Greek, but the list has been warned in at least three
messages of this attachment that came with a message on Heb 11:1 from
Braulio Barillas.
<<<<

Carl:

I admire your restraint -- but just how much can Tim and Sherrie expect
someone else to look after their interests?

There are two ways of making sure that their computer remains unharmed by
these malicious attachments.

1. NEVER, NEVER open an attachement to an e-mail.

BTW, B-GREEK is largely free of those infuriating people who as a matter
of course attach graphics, and similar unwanted junk to their e-mails.
Worst of all are the users of various Microsoft mailers which seem to be
sold pre-configured to send a "visiting-card" as an attachment. This
feature is an obvious source for virus-writers, and I predict will soon be
used by them.

It might not be a bad idea to make it part of the B-GREEK protocols that
anyone with a document which they think would be of interest to the rest of
us should NOT attach it to a posting, but instead offer it to the list;
anyone wanting it to use the reply function to request a copy. This way,
the person who wants to read the document knows it's on its way, and the
rest of us are not bothered by attachments of unknown origin.

2. Spend some money --not very much, as it happens -- on a good anti-virus
program.

This morning, as I downloaded the posting from Braulio Barillas, [at 22.29
- 0600 ] my Norton Anti-Virus program detected the virus file, happy.exe,
and offered me various choices. I naturally chose "Delete" and that was that.
Peace of mind does have a price, and in my case I long ago considered it
worth more than the cost of Norton A.V <g>

Incidentally, could I ask Braulio Barillas to explain what happened to his
computer between 22.19 -0600, when he sent a posting which did not carry an
infected file, and 22.29, when it did. Or he might be able to identify the
person/s who had access to his machine at that time?

Regards,
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie