Re: spoken koine greek

From: Antonio Eduardo Costa Pereira (costa@ufu.br)
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 11:32:01 EDT

George Blaisdell wrote:
> After reading Navarro and Dr. Costa posting from Brazil, I would love
> to see them make a tape of John's Gospel in their "restored" Koine,
> [which Dr. Costa says is necessary for students to learn to take
> dictation in Koine!] What a treasure that would be!

Dear George,
It was a private email to you, not a post. Therefore, other people certainly
don't know the history of our correspondence... Anyway,
the recordings that I have sent to you are not restored Koine, but restored
classical Greek. I use restored classical Greek because it is easier to
native speakers of modern greek, like my students, to learn.
Besides this, restored classical Greek
fulfils the role of teaching spelling perfectly well (even better than restored
Koine, I think). There is also a practical side of the story: In Uberlandia,
there are people who knows restored classical Greek and modern Greek
(Philippos, Anna, Stavros, Bruno Homeros, Panayotis, etc). I can
use their voices as model. I don't know anybody who knows restored
Koine, except Randal Buth, but he lives far away.

However, as I told you, restored Classical Greek plays the role of
teaching spelling, and it is very beautiful, isn't it? What is your
opinion about the recordings?

Yours sincerely

A. Costa
Vernon translated...