Re: diagramming vocatives

From: Randy Leedy (Rleedy@bju.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 28 1999 - 10:39:08 EDT

I have always diagrammed both vocatives and interjections on their own
separate little line directly to the left (if possible) of the
baseline for the kernel of the clause. I can see the sense of putting
the vocative right next to the word to which it is co-referential if
that word is something other than the subject. It would be done just
like an appositive, but without the equals sign between the two words.
Of course, probably not everyone diagrams appositives like I do, but I
put them right next to the word they rename, disconnected from the
line on which that word rests, with an equals sign between them.

I don't think I'm likely to succeed trying to show this graphically in
an email. Hope there is some help here anyway.

In love to God and neighbor,
Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC