Re: John 7:8

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 19:00:47 EDT

At 05:42 PM 5/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Here is one that was brought up to me today that has got me
>stumped..
>
>Am posting while checking the archives at the same time :)

>john-07-08 UMEIS ANABHTE EIS THN EORTHN EGW OUK
>ANABAINW EIS THN EORTHN TAUTHN OTI O EMOS KAIROS
>OUPW PEPLHRWTAI
>
>The na27 appears to be saying "I do NOT go"

"You yourselves go up to the feast. I myself am not going to this feast,
because my time is not fulfilled"

>So whats the deal with this one? Any and all
>help is much appreciated as I have several
>awaiting answers that I can not find..

What are ya wondering about? The discrepency of what Jesus says (his
absolute refusal to go) and the fact that he does go (sort of hinting that
he wasnt telling the truth?).

Yes, quite a quandary.
Perhaps the answer is fairly simple; as in the story of Lazarus death, when
Jesus waits three days to go- because he waited for God's ok to go- so here
Jesus tells the disciples he isnt going. God intervenes after they depart
and he does indeed go- though not openly.

(That seems an effort to ameliorate the difficult doesn't it).

Some mss attempt to clear up the problem by adding "yet" but this obvious
effort to clean up a problem is absent from Sinaiticus and Beza.

For my money, the solution is relatively clear. I have no idea! It seems
that Jesus was saying one thing and doing another.... but here we are
plunging headlong into theology aren't we.

>Have searched thru several commentaries.. which
>all say different things.. including one that
>says it is a copyist error.

Yup...

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- jwest@highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest