RE: Pros

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Sun May 23 1999 - 15:34:47 EDT

{Jim}
I didnt say that you did Carl. That was my statement. In short- pros is
directional and sun is symbiotic. Pros ton theon means "The Word was
towards God- Godward, a sign pointing at God. Sun ton theon would imply
"the word was WITH God (in some sort of symbiotic relationship.)"

{Bill}
So, does PROS TON QEON contain any sense of "proximity?"

>From http://www.m-w.com:

Main Entry: proxáiámate
Pronunciation: 'prŠk-s&-m&t
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin proximatus, past participle of proximare to approach, from
proximus nearest, next, superlative of prope near -- more at APPROACH
Date: 1661
1 : immediately preceding or following (as in a chain of events, causes, or
effects) <proximate, rather than ultimate, goals -- Reinhold Niebuhr>
2 a : very near : CLOSE b : soon forthcoming : IMMINENT

In the sense of "toward" a sign could be a kazillion miles away and still be
pointing in "towards" something.

In the sense of "approaching" it must be proximate, or "near."

Does PROS have a meaning of "near" or *only* a meaning of "towards?"

I was under the impression that it did.

Obviously, of course, since God is omnipresent and Jesus and the Father are
One, proximity is somewhat anthropomorphic, but it seems that the passage is
contrasting "the Word was with God" and "the Word became flesh and dwelt
among us."