Re: Christian

From: Bill Combs (wcombs@dbts.edu)
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 09:14:01 EDT

Jim West wrote:

>Perhaps we need to take account as well of 1 Peter 4:16, which suggests that
>if one "suffers as a "christian", nonetheless let him not be ashamed; but
>instead let him glorify God in spite of this name". Now why would one be
>ashamed if a name or term was not used derisively?

In his commentary on 1 Peter, Wayne Grudem writes: "On the other hand, 'if
one suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed.' The world may think
suffering for conscientious adherence to Christianity is disgraceful, but
actually it is an honour in God's sight, and should be so in the eyes of
Christians as well" (p. 180).

Could one argue here that "Christian" simply means a believer, and that it
is the Christian's religion which he might be tempted to be ashamed of, not
necessarily any special negative connotation attached to the name itself?

--
Bill Combs
Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary