Re: Rev 18:20

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 19 1999 - 07:16:36 EDT

<x-rich>At 8:26 AM -0400 6/17/99, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:

>Dear B-Greekers,

>Linda asked:

>What would be the best rendering of Revelation 18:20:

>"You be happy over her heaven and the holy ones and the apostles and
the

>prophets, because God has given judgment for you against her"

>OR,

>"You be happy over her heaven and the holy ones and the apostles and
the

>prophets, because God has judged her with the judgment from you."

>Ben responded to the question, but it seemed to miss the point.

>The question is about the translation of the "because clause":

>hOTI EKRINEN hO QEOS TO KRIMA hUMWN EX AUTHS.

>Literally it says:

>God judged your judgement from her.

>Some translated it as

>God judged your judgement against her.

>It seems to make sense.

>So, here we have two questions.

>(1) Can EX mean AGAINST?

>(2) What does "KRINW TO KRIMA hUMWN"?

I see that this is still open, so I'll try to bring some closure to the
question; it does involve some less-than-common usage, perhaps akin to
other usage that we find in Revelation (I do NOT want to re-open the
'bad Greek' question!).

The whole text: EUFRAINOU EP' AUTHi, OURANE KAI hOI hAGIOI KAI hOI
APOSTOLOI KAI hOI PROFHTAI, hOTI EKRINEN hO QEOS TO KRIMA hUMWN EX
AUTHS.

PROTERON since they seem to be in the reverse of logical order:

(2) I think that EKRINEN TO KRIMA hUMWN is an instance of the 'cognate
accusative' like English "see the sights" or "read the
readings/lessons"--except that the English equivalent here is not
really a 'cognate' but rather something like "decide a case" or "settle
a grievance": so "God has decided your case" or "God has settled your
grievance." Louw & Nida:

TOS n: to decide a question of legal right or wrong, and thus determine
the innocence or guilt of the accused and assign appropriate punishment
or retribution - 'to decide a legal question, to act as a judge, making
a legal decision, to arrive at a verdict, to try a case' (in the
passive 'to stand trial').

--to which there's a footnote: KRINW, KRISIS, and KRIMA often appear
in contexts referring to the judgment of God, particularly in reference
to the so-called 'end times,' but the limited differences in semantic
components of meaning in contexts referring to God's judgment do not
warrant setting up a separate set of meanings.

</color>(1) No, EK in this instance must mean (oddly) "with reference
to", an extraordinary extension of "arising from", i.e., it really does
start out as an ablatival genitive, but passes over into a semantic
realm close to what one expects with an accusative of respect or dative
of respect. Again, Louw and Nida:

marker of the source of an activity or state, with the implication of
something proceeding from or out of the source - 'from, by.' REBEKKA EX
hENOS KOITHN ECOUSA, ISAAK TOU PATROS hUMWN 'Rebecca became pregnant by
our forefather Isaac' Ro 9:10; OUTE ZHTOUNTES EX ANQRWPWN DOXAN
'neither seeking praise from people' 1Th 2:6; hOTI EKRINEN hO QEOS TO
KRIMA hUMWN EX AUTHS 'because God condemned her for what she did to
you' Re 18:20.

Note that this translation is of the "dynamic equivalence" sort: it is
good English but there's no way to see in it what Greek text it is
derived from without having gone through the entire analysis of the two
phrases in question (KRINEIN TO KRIMA hUMWN and EX AUTHS).
</color>

Carl W. Conrad

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu

</x-rich>