Re: AUTOU in Matt 8:5

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Jul 10 1999 - 17:20:13 EDT

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0"><HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: AUTOU in Matt 8:5</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
<BLOCKQUOTE>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>
I have a VERY little greek question that is puzzling me and my greek professors are away doing the things of summer break &lt;g&gt;.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Matt 8:5 EISELQONTOS DE AUTOU EIS KAFARNAOUM....<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
NRSV When he entered Capernaum...<BR>
NASB And when He had entered Capernaum...<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Is the AUTOU a g/s/m noun, or is it the adverb &quot;that place&quot; refering to KAFARNAOUM? <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
(1) I understand the subject &quot;He&quot; is imbedded in the participle, so I can't understand AUTOU as a gentive noun gramatically. I only pose the question in case I'm missing some kind of &quot;exception&quot; I should know about!<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
(2) EIS KAFARNAOUM looks straightforward, and and so an adverb here seems redundant, but it is the only way I can understand the grammar of this.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Greg Kilbrai<BR>
<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
Greg,<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>Matt 8:5 EISELQONTOS DE AUTOU EIS KAFARNAOUM....<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
Is a genitive absolute. AUTOU is an anaphoric pronoun. Participles are NOT inflected for person so AUTOU is required. You will find genitive absolute constructions at the beginning of many of Matthew's narrative units.<BR>
<BR>
-- &nbsp;<BR>
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew<BR>
Three Tree Point<BR>
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062<BR>
<BR>
BTW, I don't know what format you sent this email in but it sure raises cain with my email program. This list goes to people with all kinds of platforms, UNIX, MAC, and the other platform, can't remember the name of it right now. Please use plain text. Thanks.<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

</x-html>