Re: question

From: Steve Long (steve@allegrographics.com)
Date: Tue Aug 03 1999 - 10:51:49 EDT

>I was wondering what kind of degree would someone need to have to be
>considered a scholar of the Greek language.

To my mind it is someone who's living is derived from the study, teaching
and writing about the language. In other words a professional. Someone like
myself is no more than an interested amateur. I'm sure there are degrees of
professionalism in the 'trade' (as Carl puts it), but anyone who can make a
living at it is certainly a scholar.

Anything you do 8 hours a day for most of your life will give you an
expertise that far surpasses the most interested of amateurs (even ones
with degrees). I see it in my profession all the time, people get a page
layout program and instantly they're a graphic artist. All of a sudden, 4
years of apprenticeship, 4 years of journeymanship and 25 years of
experience mean nothing to them, they're an expert.

I have the deepest respect for the scholars who have dedicated their lives
to the study and teaching of the Greek New Testament. Carl was speaking
about EXOUSIA, one way of obtaining EXOUSIA is through the setting apart of
one's life to a single purpose. Jesus had EXOUSIA through his dedication to
the purpose God had set for him. In a modern setting and concerning the
Greek New Testament, only a professional has that kind of EXOUSIA (in
grammatical terms).

Steve

99 silver PEP
The mouse that roared
Shock tower brace, air horns & Hard core roll bar on order