Re: Deut 32:8 LXX

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 16:36:27 EDT

At 12:36 PM 8/23/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Both Rahlfs and BHS (apparatus) show the LXX reading AGGELWN QEOU in
>Deut 32:8. My question is, where did Shanks get his reading? The
>apparatus in Rahlfs is not very extensive. If someone has access to a
>critical edition of Deut LXX could you look it up and see if there is
>any support for Shanks' reading?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Clay

What you need is a copy of the Goettingen Septuagint- the best and most
thorough critical edition of LXX available. I too only have Rahlfs, so I
have no idea where Shanks gets his reading (but he probably just read von
Rad- who likewise gives no specifics--- see below). Someone with a good
library nearby should be able to answer this with no difficulty.

Curiously, von Rad's commentary on Deut says in a note on v8b: "This text
has long been suspect because the LXX reads 'according to the number of the
sons of God'. Now a fragment from cave 4 at Qumran has made it as good as
certain that the MT cannot be the original one." The targum has "beney
Yisrael".
Best,

Jim