Re: Brenton's LXX

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 08:11:21 EDT

<x-flowed>>From: Jay Stigdon <disciple@abcs.com>

>Can anyone give me some insight as to Brenton's LXX as opposed to
>Rahlf's? It has become evident that I shall need a copy, but I would
>like to make an informed decision.

Brenton's provides in the dual column format both the English translation
and Greek text for the Septuagint. This is basically the Textus Recepticus.
  Rahlf allows you to see the variant readings.

For a little greek, like myself, Brenton's is an invaluable reference
despite the fact that the translation is over a hundred years old and in the
"style" of the King James version.

I would also recommend Jellicoe, The Septuagint in Modern Study, to anyone
interested in textual issues around the Septuagint.

In the Eastern Churches liturgical services and Patristic writings tend to
break along the Antiochian/Alexandrian school lines in the use of particular
Septuagint texts. Our liturgical Commission in the United States is
currently undertaking new translations of all our services, which are full
of Old Testament quotes and allusions. A member of this commission noted to
me that there is a striking variation of texts in several quotations of
scripture that depends on the ultimate "source" of the quote.

I could go on but that is as far off-topic as I dare go on list. Off-list
discussions of any of these "non-greek" issues are welcome.

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor
(Little Greek)