B-Greek mail options and how to change them

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 09:26:19 EDT

<x-rich>IDOU MUSTHRION hUMIN LEGW!

I've been asked frequently for help by persons wanting to change their
mail-receipt option so that they can stop mail from coming in to their
mailbox while away temporarily--WITHOUT unsubscribing. This is really
very easy to do at the B-Greek website.

To go to the website, type in the following into the URL slot in your
browser (if you're using Eudora or one of the more sophisticated
browsers to read your mail, you can probably just click on this URL and
go direclty there):

http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=b-greek&text_mode=0

There you must login with your e-address and password (and if you've
forgotten your password, there's a place on the page to indicate that
by filling in your e-address; your password will be sent you by
e-mail).

Then click and you'll come to a menu with various options; click on
"Your Settings" and you'll open a page containing your settings; at
"Status" you can click on the pop-up menu and choose one of the options
described thus:

- as soon as someone contributes a message to the mailing list, the
user will receive a copy of that message. This option is commonly known
by other programs as "mail".

* periodic digest - each night, around 1 in the morning, the user will
receive a single email message containing all the messages contributed
to the mailing list that day. At the top of the message will be a
numbered list of the subjects in that digest, followed by the complete
messages themselves. This option is commonly known by other programs as
"digest".

* periodic index of subject - each night, around 1 in the morning, the
user will receive a single email message containing all the subject
lines of all the messages contributed to the mailing list that day. If
any of the messages interest the user, the bottom of the index gives
the email command that will retrieve the bodies of the messages.

* receive no mail - no email is sent to the user. The user is free to
go the Lyris Web Interface whenever they want, and read the full text
of the messages there. This setting is also useful for people who want
the ability to contribute to a mailing list, but do not care to see the
contributions to the mailing list. This option is commonly known by
other programs as "nomail".

Use the pop-up button to choose the option you want (presumably
"receive no mail").

</color>Then click on the "Save" button at the bottom left below the
settings panels.

to the web site and change it back to your previous option--or even
change it to or from "periodic digest" to one of the other options.

This is really a very simple process--more or less intuitive, but some
people seem to find it a lot easier if they are "walked through" it the
first time they use it. Of course any list-administrator can make these
changes for you (since we have access to everyone's settings), but the
procedure we would follow is identical to what you can do for
yourself--and although we're glad to be helpful when we can and this is
not a time-consuming procedure, we do have some things to do that we'd
rather be doing.
</color>

Carl W. Conrad

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu