Re: Synoptic Concordance?

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 21:32:27 EDT

At 11:05 AM 9/16/99 -0400, Rodney J. Decker wrote:
>Is anyone familiar with this work? If so, could you offer any opinions,
>evaluations, comments re. usefullness, etc.? Thanks.
>
>I just received a brochure regarding the first vol. (4 projected) of the
>*Synoptic Concordance: A Greek Concordance to the First Three Gospels in
>Synoptic Arrangement, Statistically Evaluated, Including Occurrences in
>Acts* by Paul Hoffmann (Univ. of Bamberg), Thomas Hieke, and Ulrich Bauer.
>Berlin/New York: Walter de Gruyter, 1999. ISBN 3-11-016296-2. lxxiii + 1032
>pgs. US$175.00.

I have purchased a copy of the first volume, and it is an incredible
resource. The beginning of each entry is indicated by a very large
fonted word, making it easy to flip through the concordance to find
the appropriate entry. The entries themselves are thoughtfully and
clearly laid out, so that it is easily to see how the parallels line
up horizontally. Each unique entry for each gospel is shaded so
that it is easy to go vertically through each occurence of a word in
Mark, say, and compare the parallels without having to look at the
same parallels twice (because, e.g., Matthew or Luke is out of order).
In addition, each entry has word counts so that its NT distribution
can be asertained at a glance.

It is clear that a lot thought has gone into producing a reference that
is very usable. I would enthusiatically recommend it for purchase in
a university library. For personal use, however, it is very expensive.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com
Synoptic Problem Home Page   http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/