Re: Prautaes

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 18:20:45 EDT

At 02:29 PM 9/16/99 -0500, you wrote:

>In her devotions, my wife ran across an article on meekness which claims
>that this word comes from the description of a powerful stallion
>responding to the gentle signals of his master. I can't find any support
>for this claim. Is anyone familiar with they etymology of this word?

Spicq says this word's etymology is unknown. The word is used in the
classical literature to describe calm, leniency, moderation, mildness.
Xerxes seeks to "calm" his team (Aeschylus, Pers. 190 and Xenophon. Eq.
9.10- where the same term is applied to "calming" a horse). Note- however,
that the "calming of the horse" is only ONE use among MNAY and certainly is
not the primary understanding nor illustration. The disposition of "calm"
is contrasted with rage and savagery. Plato and Aristotle make the most of
the term- and use it of the quality inherent in the good life.

> Can
>you help me here? Even better, can you turn me on

hmm.. you must have been raised in the sixties- to use such a "hippy" term! ;-)

>to some sources which
>would give me a deeper insight into words like this than I'm able to
>acquire through my existing sources (Bible Works/Logos)?

Yes, get Ceslas Spicq's "Theological Lexicon of the New Testament" or the
famous Theological Dictionary of the New Testament" by Kittel et al.

Best,

Jim