Re: 1co 6:5 re: outsiders?

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 20:08:11 EDT

Rion K. Reece wrote;

>Thank very much for your responce to my last post.
>
>In 1Cor 6:4 it says, BIOTIKA MEN OUN KRITHRIA EAN ECHTE, TOUS
>EXOUQENHMENOUS EN THi EKKLHSIAi, TOUTOUS KAQIZETE;
>
>NAB 1Corinthians 6:4 So if you have law courts dealing with matters of
>this life, do you appoint them as judges who are of no account in the
>church?
>
>Is it possible here to read, "despised by the church"? I am a little
>bit unclear as to when EN should be taken as 'in' and when 'by'. Are
>there rules that cover this, or is it a matter of context? If it is
>indeed by context (although it would carry a negative message about the
>attitudes of the early church toward outsiders), wouldn't it make more
>sense here to see Paul as refering once again to taking their legal
>affairs before unbelievers?

Yes, it is a good translation to translate "despised by the church." The
translation of the dative with EN is a matter of context. The presense of a
passive verbal idea lends itself to see the dative (instrumental) as
agency. Agency is rare in the dative case. Most of the time it indicates
means. An instance of the dative with in indicating means is Rev. 6:8 EN
hROMFAIAi = "with the sword." . . . Other possible translations of EN with
the dative are "because," "in," "by," or "at." Context is the only means to
make such judgments.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College