Re: Hebrews 1:2

From: jim west (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Sat Oct 30 1999 - 14:52:10 EDT

At 02:03 PM 10/30/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear friends,
>
>Could you help me with EP ESCATOU TWN hHMHRWN TOUTWN? Does it mean "on the
>last of these days"? In this case what is meant here? Or "in the end of
>these days"? But can the ejective ESCATOS mean "end"? And what are "these
>days"? "This age"?

Hello. Epi with the genitive means "in". The phrase thus means "in these
latter days", "latter" being understood in an eschatological sense of "the
olam haba" in distinction to the "olam hazeh" (The coming age- this present
age- respectively).

In short, the writer is saying that "in these last days... God has spoken
not by prophet or some other means but by his son... etc".

Best,

Jim