Re: Matthew 5:12

From: Joe A. Friberg (JoeFriberg@email.msn.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 21:02:18 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Craig Miller" <scmiller@www.plantnet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 6:08 PM

> All the examples of hendiadys in BDF and Smyth are those of substantives
> connected by KAI, are there (other) examples of hendiadys with Greek
verbs?
> I also noticed that of the six examples of hendiadys quoted in BDF
> (442.16), the NRSV only accepted one of them as a hendiadys (at Acts
23:6).
> And C. K. Barrett, in his commentary on Acts, comments on Acts 23:6
saying:
> "The line of argument is not greatly altered if 'hope' and 'resurrection'
> are distinguished."

I suspect that in English we are more tolerant of verbs than of nouns that
are synonymous and conjoined, repeating and expanding on the same core
meaning, so that we do not as readily notice hendiadys of verbs as an
irregularity. Similarly, the synonymous parallelism of clauses in
Hebrew/Hebraistic poetry is largely (totally??) tolerated in English, though
there are languages which will not tolerate it at all.

E.W. Bullinger does cite a number of instances of verbal hendiadys, some
more convincing than others:
Mt 13.23 AKOUWN KAI SUNIEIS (maybe)
Lk 6.48 ESKAPSEN KAI EBAQUNEN (NASB: dug deep)
Acts 9.31 OIKODOMOUMENH KAI POREUOMENH (I question this one)
Acts 13.41 QAUMASATE KAI AFANISQHTE (what?)
1Thes 4.1 DEI...PERIPATEIN KAI ARESKEIN QEWi (causal relationship)
2Pet 3.12 PROSDOKWNTAS KAI SPEUDONTAS (causal)
Rev 20.4 EZHSAN KAI EBASILEUSAN (what?)
Not too good a score! Only one that is strongly synonymous (Lk 6.48), and 2
that are causally related.

I might suggest Js 4.9 as another example:
TALAIPWRHSATE KAI PENQHSATE KAI KLAUSATE (oops, this would be hendiatris!)
(note also the cases of synonymous parallelism in 4.8 & 9)

> Does an hendiadys merely mark a non-literal translation?

(not sure I follow this question)

> Or is hendiadys a
> real grammatical phenomenon of the Greek language?

Synonymous hendiadys is grammatical in the real sense that some languages
use the construction Verb1 AND Verb2 to rhetorically emphasize or develop
one basic action by conjoined synonyms, and other languages do not.

Cause-Effect hendiadys is a separate construction all together (same form,
completely different function).

God Bless!
Joe Friberg