Re: Syntax Grammars

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 22:55:05 EST

Dale Wheeler wrote;

>IMHO, D&M is an interesting curiosity in the history of Greek grammars, but
>is not to be recommended to students, esp. (if I read your question
>correctly) ones who are trying to pick up Greek syntax on their own. If
>you want a quick overview, Brooks and Winbery is a good syntax; if you are
>looking to go indepth, then Wallace is your man...again, IMHO.

Two or three people have mentioned Brooks and Winbery in this thread. I
would add that the original question was about an "advanced" syntax book.
Brooks and Winbery, as well as Dana & Mantey, are beginner syntax books. In
fact that was the intention for Brooks and Winbery. Our beginner Syntax
students were really struggling to cope with using the context, so we did
the book with the intention of using as many examples from the GNT as we
could. This along with the way we dealt with the prepositions are still the
strength of the book for beginners. My favorite advanced book on Syntax is
still the second volume of Funk, Hellenistic Greek Grammar. I am beginning
to work on a revision of our syntax (provided Jim Brooks approves) to give
it a bit more depth, but I intend to keep it as a beginner Syntax of NT
Greek. I will also avoid like the plague chasing rabbits.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@speedgate.net